Music makes or breaks a Film

    I believe that the most important concept to a film's success is its film score. Without music to properly capture the suspense, excitement, and mood of the story, audiences would never resonate with the emotions of the film. For our film, we wanted the last 30 seconds to include a powerful music score. The music would take place after the two detectives wrestle on the ground and highlight the mystery of who shot who. As the camera pans up at the tress, I wanted a song that captures the peacefulness of the treetops while still being a little mysterious. As the camera pans up to reveal that Detective Reynolds survives, the screen will cut black and the credits will be shown as the music still plays. The music should be able to show the audiences shock and resolution with the plot. 

    Searching for music is harder than talking about it. I knew that there was no way of getting a popular song with royalties in our film. Because of this, I started to look a royalty-free, online music sites such as Upbeat and Soundstripe. These websites were hard to navigate due to the separation of free songs and premium songs you had to pay for. I was able to find a couple of options but nothing that really fit the mood of my film. Then, I remembered how my friend was able to get good, royalty-free music last year for AS level projects. He found song covers on Tiktok that small artists created and didn't copyright, and downloaded them to use. 

    I then looked through my saved music Tiktoks on my phone and found a contender. The video was two girls playing a song with no lyrics on guitar and a big wooden stick. It was just music, no popular song. It perfectly captured the peacefulness of the tress, the suspense of the plot, and the satisfaction of the ending. After listening to it a couple times, I realized I can time the beat drop with when the black screen for the credits comes up. After downloading it, I cropped it to only the first 45 seconds as we wouldn't need the whole song and so my phone storage doesn't crash. I then sent it to Zane, my group partner so he could edit it into the film's ending. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Editing Struggles